With hundreds of native birds throughout the Southeast, it is a birdlover's paradise! Here are just a few of the birds you might encounter:
Birdwatching in the Southeast
The Great Florida Birding Trail is 2000-mile trail that connects existing and new birdwatching sites throughout Florida.
For a complete list of birds, identification tips, photos, songs, and natural history, check out the Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter (USGS).
Interested in Monitoring Birds?
What types of birds are visiting your yard and neighborhood? The Florida Bird Monitoring Program, developed by the UF Department of Wildlife Ecology and Conservation's Extension office, lets you track which birds are occurring in your yard and neighborhood over time. Compare your survey results with other participants' and discuss suggestions about how to improve neighborhoods for birds.
DISCLAIMER NOTE: UF/IFAS WEC Extension supports the use of many resources to learn more about birds and birdwatching, and we've listed many on this page. However, we do not endorse any particular author, publisher, brand, company, or device.
- All About Birds--Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- American Birding Association
- Bird Checklists of the United States
- Bird Monitoring
- Managing for Quail
- The Birds of North America Online
- Birding Business Magazine
- BIRDNET: Ornithological Organizations and Information
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- Ducks Unlimited
- Georgia Ornithological Society
- Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
- Migratory Birds in the Southeast--USFWS
- National Audubon Society
- Online Bird Guide--Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- Ornithology: The Science of Birds
- Partners in Flight
- Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter
- Peterson Field Guides® Online
- Southeast Bird Conservation Initiative
- Alabama Migratory Bird Conservation
- Attracting and Feeding Songbirds in Georgia--Clemson Univ. Extension
- Bird Collisions with Windows
- Fact Sheets by State--U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Southeast Region
- Florida Migratory Bird Conservation
- Georgia Migratory Bird Conservation
- Hummingbirds of Florida
- Louisiana Migratory Bird Conservation
- Mississippi Migratory Bird Conservation
- North Carolina Migratory Bird Conservation
- Songbirds--North Carolina Wildlife Extension
- South Carolina Migratory Bird Conservation
- Tennessee Migratory Bird Conservation